Assalaamu ‘Alaikum ISBUers!
It’s time again to bring out those calendars because there is a whole lot going on around town that you don’t want to miss out on!
1. The Islamic Society of Boston University (yours truly) in collaboration with 6 other distinguished educational institutions around the Boston area are proud to present Pakistan Relief Fundraiser: An Inter-MSA Dinner Social on November 19th, 2010 at 7pm in the LKP Room of the Simmons College Main Building (300 Fenway, Boston, MA).
Altaf Hussain will be speaking about, “The Muslim Ummah is like ONE body, if one part of it hurts, the rest of the body aches and shivers in pain also.” In addition, there will be FREE food catered by Black Seed Cafe and Darbar.
2. The Bukhari Institute is holding Seminars on Family Life on November 20th and 21st, 2010 at the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center (100 Malcolm X Blvd., Boston, MA 02119) from11am to 7pm.
Shaykh Faraz Rabbani will be speaking about, “Getting Married: Clear and Practical Guidance for Success” and “Raising Righteous Children.”
Please register for the seminars at http://www.bukhari-institute.org.
3. Palestine@MIT presents DAM Concert on Friday, November 12th, 2010 at Lobdell Hall – Student Center, 2nd Floor (84 Massachusetts Avenue). The doors will open at 6pm and the concert will begin at 6:30pm.
DAM is the first Palestinian pop-rap group, gaining international recognition through their unique message. Combining Arabic percussion rhythms, Middle Eastern melodies, and urban hip hop, the lyrics of DAM are influenced by the continuing Israeli-Palestinian struggle as well as the Palestinian struggle for freedom and equality.
Tickets are $10 for students with a valid ID and $20 for the general public and can be either purchased at the door or bought online at http://www.palestine.mit.edu.
4. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is proud to present Standup for Religious Tolerance: A fundraising event for the victims of Pakistan on November 12th, 2010 at Kresge Hall on 48 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA.
Enjoy a night of nonstop laughter with performances by Azhar Usman, Dean Obeidallah, and Aron Kader. All proceeds from this event will be donated towards the flood victims of Pakistan, inshaAllah.
Tickets are now on sale at http://www.developpakistan.org/comicrelief.
5. The Boston University Women’s Resource Center will be showcasing BU Alum Randy H. Goodman’s exhibit IRAN: Images Beneath the Chador from November 9th through November 30th. The gallery opening will be held on November 9th, 2010 at 6:30pm in the Boston University Women’s Resource Center.
Randy H. Goodman Biographical Information:
Photojournalist Randy H. Goodman began her career in Iran just months after the 1979 takeover of the US Embassy in Tehran. In February 1980, she covered a grassroots delegation of Americans who met with the Iranians holding the US hostages. In 1981, when all journalists with US media credentials were banned from Iran, she returned on an exclusive assignment for CBS-TV News and returned in 1983 for Time magazine. Goodman holds a B.A. and M.A. in sociology from Boston University and is a member of the Boston Press Photographers Association and the National Press Photographers Association. She is currently residing in Cambridge along with her family
IRAN: Images From Beneath a Chador:
This exhibition combines photographs from Goodman’s three assignments and focuses on the Iranian people whose lives were irrevocably changed by revolution, the US Embassy takeover, the Iran-Iraq war, and the establishment of the Islamic Republic. The exhibit is current traveling nationally and internationally.
For more information, please visit http://www.IranBeneathChador.com.
6. The Islamic Society of Boston University (yours truly) is now hosting, Weekly Halaqaats! The next halaqah is to be held Saturday, October 30th, 2010, from 4:30pm to 5:30pm at the Musallah (GSU 2nd Floor, 775 Commonwealth Avenue).
7. The Harvard Islamic Society presents Fall Dinner on November 13th, 2010 at the Eliot House Dining Hall from 8pm to 10:30pm.
Come one and come all to get in on some great food and a pleasant evening!
InshaAllah you will be able to make it out to some of these amazing events! \
Jazaak Allahu Khairan,